Saturday, December 12, 2015

The best laid plans of mice and women.

The title refers to how I am feeling this morning.  I have been, as all of the staff have been and still are, busy.  The busy hasn't been over the top and not manageable but I am even more acutely aware of making the most of every minute.  My way of dealing with this is to be organised, using lists and managing my timetable.  What throws me and is when something interferes with this.
An example in point is that I have 2 anniversary tests to complete.  That's right only two.  You might say so what's the issue that would take 1hr 30 minutes out of your day.  However, the issue is the juniors are having their water and wheels day.  Which means that the child's head space would not be in the right place, and as I started to carry out the test I realised this.  Child A's group was on the water slide first and who am I to deprive Child A of this.  As teachers we can focus too much on the nuts and bolts type of things and forget about the child and really what is important and right now for them.   I will get the testing done but I will not interfere with the celebrations that the mentors have planned.
Anyhow, what I have found is that when something like this happens I tend to flap around a bit like a headless chicken, not sure what to do, where to start, so I thought that I'd write this little blog post.  What I have learnt over the years is that although I flap a bit, allowing myself to do this and have refocus time is more beneficial in the long term. I feel more calm and will be better able to focus altering my timetable.  Ordering literacy resources, checking library returns, attending the school assembly and team leaders meeting.
Thanks blogger for listening.
PS. Thanks also to my bouncy buddy for your not getting annoyed with the flapper. :)

Update From Sunny/Haily - typical late spring/early summer day
The rest of the day went well and I met my self imposed deadlines and went off for the weekend feeling relaxed.  One of colleagues was able to identify with how I was feeling and reiterated that a small amount of down time to organise your thoughts is a valuable thing.  I think it fits with the slow brain idea.  Sometimes we just need to allow ourselves down time to actually be more effective.
I'd be interested to see what you your thoughts are?

Have an awesome last week with the children and colleagues then enjoy the downtime and spending valuable time with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment